Thursday, February 22, 2007

Rainy Day

It's been one of those days. One of those days when your alarm doesn't go off, you receive bad news, you're late and not looking your best, and you just can't seem to do the task at hand. Somehow, your jubilant attitude from the night before has turned-tail and fled, leaving you with an even more toxic feeling of dread and loneliness at the day at hand.

I woke up this morning 15 minutes prior to the bell ringing at school. Since it takes me 15 minutes to drive to school, any chance for a shower, or even a comb through my hair, looked grim. In the five minutes it took me to get dressed and put in my contacts, I happened to ask my mom how things were going at Master's and she let me know things weren't looking good for financial aid; to me, that translated into a major letdown - how am I going to pay?

I walked out into the pouring rain and decided my mood didn't feel much brighter. I made it to school, somehow only five minutes late, and not recorded tardy as our teacher was M.I.A. This seems to be the only bright star of my day. However, walking across the wet, grassy field three times was not a present help, and the thin sweatshirt I'd put over my shirt this morning didn't keep me very insulated.

I made it through Economics and started math class, only to remember the incredible score I'd received on my last math test- 40%. I've been working on this objective for several weeks now, and somehow I just can't learn it, can't get past it. So it began. Someone asked me some stupid question, and somehow I just started getting tears in my eyes. I put my hood on to cover my shame, and hide my face, but somehow there is always at least one person who tries to make you feel better by giving you a hug; this hug usually results in a full-out burst in the raincloud, and I was no different today. My embarassment didn't help the situation either. My teacher came over to me and gave me a hug, and then sat down in front of my desk and asked me if there was anything she could help me with, to which I replied, "No," and began pouring out my woes of college, and how I just couldn't do math anymore. Of course, I was probably making my math problem more dramatic than it was, but she just said to forget about math for now, and to go ahead and take a break to go to the bathroom and get some fresh air.

When I returned, everyone made it their personal goal to make me smile; Brandon most of all had this objective in mind. It worked somewhat, but the feeling of everyone watching you when you know you look and feel terrible somehow doesn't help. However, making it through that class, I then decided to go home on my break and take a nap (which I will be doing shortly.)

When I walked in the door and didn't feel like saying hello, my mom asked me why I was "in such a grumpy mood." Of course my suppressed tears decided to make an appearance again, and I started, for lack of a better word, whining about how I wasn't going to be able to go to college and how it just isn't fair (which, I must admit, is still my opinion on fairness.)

It really is one of those days when I just want to crawl up in the fetal position and give up; body, mind, and soul at peace, I just don't feel as if I can make it up this upward climb any longer. I'm struggling with doubts as to why God would allow me to be accepted into and excited about the one college I really wanted to go to, when apparently He has other plans. Do I apply to CalPoly as I was planning on doing originally? Do I go to a community college far away? I'm so disappointed; my plans and hopes wash away with the mire as the rain comes, and I feel like all the stable footing I had is being pulled away with it. Where do I go now? What do I do? All the direction I thought I had is lost; I am unsure and forgotten.

So, I must apologize for this downer of a post. My original intents on creating a blog never included feeling sorry for myself, but I suppose honesty is always the best policy? Of that I am not sure, either, in this case. At any rate, please excuse the lament.

8 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Sorry it's been such a discouraging day. Let's not give up hope yet. You never know what could still happen around the bend...

Rebecca said...

Elizabeth,
Some days are just dark. I'm sorry today was one of those for you, but the good news is that the rain leaves behind a fresh, green world. Don't give up hope regarding Master's. Josh and I are fervently praying and if it is God's will that you go there, doors will open.

love, Sis

This and That said...

Elisa,
Sorry you had a bad day today =( Rememeber that we have a mighty God that will not allow anything (including financial aid) from getting in the way of His plans for you!!

LOVE!

haititrip said...

Matthew 6:25-34
Matthew 7:7-12
Isaiah 40

Hey will be praying for you! Just found your blog through tenth street place. Thinking about starting this one back up when i go back. These passages have been helpfull to me lately :] Isaiah is pretty cool, just a reminder of how powerful a God we server. I have been where you are... thought I was going to masters and ended up not being able to financially, but the Lord has taken good care of me still and looking back it was all for the best, he had something else he wanted me to do. But if you can do even one semester there, IBEX :] Ok peace, will be praying for you.

kirsten said...

Hi Elizabeth - I don't know if you remember me, but I came home with Rebecca & stayed with your family during one Easter break from Biola many moons ago. :o)

I can identify with your feelings, your struggles, & your questions about where you are at in your life. It sounds so familiar! I have learned (and in all truth, am still learning) that everything that happens to us has first passed through the filter of God's love. We can rarely make sense of our own struggles, but God knows exactly what He's up to and (I believe) has a plan in mind for each one of us that exceeds even our own hopes & expectations.

I will be praying for God's best plan to unfold in your life & that no matter what happens, you will feel richly blessed.

Thanks for being so transparent with your thoughts!

-kirsten

christianne said...

Elizabeth,

You have an amazingly beautiful way of expressing yourself. I'm so sorry for your bad day. But I do see God's hand of beauty in your life, even -- and especially -- in your laments.

By the way, has anyone told you lately how absolutely GORGEOUS you are??! Man, you've turned into quite the looker from the scraggly-haired little blonde kid I met my first year of college . . .

Chin up, Elizabeth. God is watching over you with a tender and grace-filled heart.

Jen said...

I agree with Christianne on both points: you have a gift with words, Elizabeth, and you ARE quite a looker.

I know God will take care of you and show you how to use these incredible gifts He's given you for His glory.

In the meantime, it's certainly understandable and appropriate to feel down, up, and every which way. God gave us the full range of emotions for a reason; it's part of what makes us human. Thanks for having the courage to put your feelings into words, even the unpleasant ones.

Jen :o)

yongchuan zhao said...

Do your best and have a try!chin up! everything is going well!best wishes from China!